Skin cancer, according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Up to 20% of Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
America’s diverse climate and scenic vistas offer endless opportunities for outdoor activities year round. Our love for the outdoors exposes our skin to a lot of the sun’s damaging rays. Without protective measures, this can lead to skin cancer. Trying to live up to “bronze is beautiful” is a major health risk. There is no such thing as a safe tan.
Early detection can prevent many deaths
Over 2 million Americans are treated for skin cancer each year according to the American Cancer Society. It kills more than 10,000 Americans per year according to the American Cancer Society, and many of these deaths are preventable.
Melanoma is a deadly form of skin cancer if not treated early, and accounts for 73% of annual skin cancer deaths according to the American Cancer Society. The remaining 27% of deaths result from the more common types of skin cancer, when they have increased in size becoming very large, causing them to spread throughout the body.
Skin Cancer- How does it develop?
Risk factors for developing non-melanoma and melanoma skin cancers include:
- Fair complexion
- Severe sunburns as a child or adolescent
- Persistent, moderate long-term sun exposure
- Occupational exposure to coal tar, pitch, creosote, arsenic compounds, or radium
- Multiple or atypical moles
- Family history
Early Detection is the Key!
Since skin cancers are visible to the eye, most skin cancers can be detected early. With prompt treatment, there is a greater chance of curing your skin cancer.
Diagnosing skin cancers early is important. You should perform self-skin exams at home, especially if you have risk factors described above or have a history of skin cancer.
Types of Skin Cancer:
Other skin components such as sweat or oil glands and nerves can be the origin of other cancer forms. Cancers starting from other organs can spread to other body organs (ie. breast or lung), causing lumps, bumps or sores.
Contact the Skin & Vein Center located in the Kansas City area today to learn more about how to detect skin cancer.